Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Interviewing Mr. Mark


Interviewing Mr. Mark
By Scarlett

For my interview project, I decided to interview Mr. Mark Richner.  He works at my school, Lewis Elementary, as my teacher and is very nice.  To prepare for the interview, I wrote questions in my notebook and then I recorded with Mr. Mark and typed everything in.        

Where were you born?
I was born at Madison General Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, way back in the ‘70s. 

How long have you lived in Portland, Oregon?
I have lived in Portland, Oregon, for about 15 months.  My wife, Evie, and I moved here after she finished grad school. I am very glad I got a job teaching at Lewis. 

What is your favorite thing to do on the weekend?
On the weekend, I always spend time with my baby girls.  Norah Lee and Twyla are six months old now and we always begin our weekend with some time on the floor.  They are getting really good at rolling over. They have even begun sitting up! We have been taking walks to Mount Scott Park. The girls love to swing on the swing at the park. We put them back to back in the baby swing and stuff a blanket between them and they just smile and giggle. Evie and I push them back and forth between us.  On the weekends, I also help do the dishes, I do a little grocery shopping, and I call Grandma.       

What is your favorite sport?
My favorite sport when I was growing up was soccer.  Although I would play flag football and volleyball in my neighbor’s backyard.  When I was in high school I ran cross country and track.  In college I helped manage the cross country and track team, which was a lot of fun.  Nowadays, I think my favorite sport, if it counts, is going on walks with my baby girls in the stroller.  Evie and I will go on bike rides from time to time too, but not a lot of bike rides with babies these days. They aren’t big enough to jump on the back and hit the road.  All in good time.     

If you could travel any place in the world where would you go?  
Hmmm, let’s see. I would probably go and visit my grandma. She lives in Wisconsin, and I think she is probably the first person I would go and see. So I don’t know if it’s really what you are looking for, since it really isn’t a place I haven’t been.  Evie’s family lives in Florida, in the Tampa Bay area, so I would go and visit them, too, in a heartbeat.

What was the happiest moment in your life?
The happiest moment in my life was when Norah Lee and Twyla were born. They were born on May 2nd and it was just an amazing thing to see them be born and hold them and see Evie taking care of them. It transformed my life. They are the first people I think of when I wake up in the morning and the last people I think of when I go to sleep.  I love those little girls.  

What is your favorite school event?
My favorite school event at Lewis, I don’t know if it counts as an event, but, going out into the garden with the kids.  I love seeing the kids outside, getting into exploring the things they can see in the garden. As far as events go, the drama performance last spring was just a joy to see.  The kids worked so hard.  It was so nice to see the audience cheer for them. 

How long have you worked at Lewis?
I’ve worked at Lewis for one year.

What is your favorite school subject to teach?
My favorite school subject to teach is writing.  I have a degree in journalism from before I went back to school to become a teacher.  I think that part of my passion is in writing.  I like the process of it and helping kids think through the planning and their revising and editing too.  It’s nice for kids to share their work with others.  So writing is one of my favorite things to teach.

How would you like to be remembered?
I think I would like to be remembered as somebody who was nice. That’s a good focus for living. I think I would also like to be remembered as somebody who did things for others. The work of my day isn’t just for myself. It’s for my kids who will come in contact with so many people over the course of their lives.  I think teaching is one of those ways that I can contribute to the greater good of society.

No comments:

Post a Comment